Parks and Gardens in Saarbrücken
This circa 50-hectare park provides an ideal opportunity for the whole family to relax and enjoy themselves. A round trip on the narrow-gauge railway or a cable car trip allows the visitor to get an overall impression of the individual themed gardens, while a large network of pathways around the Deutschmühlenweiher lake provides an ideal opportunity to take a stroll. There is also a wide selection of cafés and restaurants offering everything from snacks, through coffee and cake, to small meals and three-course dinners.
The Bürgerpark is to be found on the site of the former coal harbour. It is decorated with relicts from the coal and iron industry which have been cleverly combined with contemporary elements. Remnants of train tracks and the ruins of former buildings stand side-by-side with a chestnut grove surrounding an amphitheatre, an “antique” water gate or a large circular flowerbed amidst hedged walkways and shrub clusters as well as countless tree-lined walks. And all this is only a few minutes from the city centre.
The Saarbrücken Zoo was founded in 1932 and is beautifully situated in a former sandstone quarry with an imposing tree population. This is an ideal place to gather energy for everyday life. Come for a visit, relax and
enjoy the many attractive animals that have found a wonderful home here. 1,000 animals of 160 species await you!
The park is home to about 150 European wild and domestic animals. The wildlife park can be explored on circular trails and a geology trail that start at the children's playground beside the pavilion. Suitable animal feed can be purchased from the vending machine.
On sunny days this boulevard between the bridge Bismarckbrücke and the thermal power station Römerbrücke is alive with visitors from all walks of life and provides the perfect setting for a leisurely stroll, jogging, roller-skating, cycling or sunbathing. The ultimate meeting point for all fresh air buffs is the beer garden Ulanenpavillon. Guests meet here to enjoy a beer or a glass of rosé and to relax in the sun.
The imposing castle gardens were originally laid out in the Baroque style between 1760 and 1765; their terraces used to stretch right down to the Saar. At the end of the 19th century they were partly used for building purposes. Today a smaller yet lively garden with a lovely view of the town still remains.