Landeshauptstadt Saarbrücken » Information for Refugees » Social Welfare Office (Sozialamt) and Jobcenter

Social Welfare Office (Sozialamt) and Jobcenter

Sozialamt und Jobcenter

If you are not permitted to work or have not yet found a job, you will receive social welfare support.

Your integration advisor will help you fill out the initial application for welfare support. For this, he or she will accompany you to the Saarbrücken Regional Association Social Welfare Office (Sozialamt). There, the application will be checked, and if everything is in order, you will receive an official notice of approval – a so-called Bewilligungsbescheid.

If requested, you can receive a check which may be directly cashed at the Sparkasse Saarbrücken savings bank.

This money is for food, clothing and any other everyday items you might need.

Your rent and utility fees will be covered by the Social Welfare Office.  

Applications to receive services granted through the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act (AsylbLG Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz) can be submitted at:

Regionalverband Saarbrücken
Sozialamt Beratungs- und Informationsstelle des Fachdienst 50 – Soziales
Schlossplatz 6-7
66119 Saarbrücken

Phone: +49 681 506-4948
Fax: +49 681 506-5098

Office hours

Montag - Mittwoch, Freitag 8 bis 12 Uhr

Donnerstag 8 bis 17.30 Uhr

Once you have been officially granted refugee status (Anerkennung) or subsidiary protection, the Social Welfare Office will no longer be responsible for you. Instead, you must switch to the Job Centre. At this point, you will receive financial support under the SGB II Program (measures in accordance with Book II of the Social Code, so-called Hartz IV welfare services) until you have found a job.


Arbeitsagentur / Jobcenter Saarbrücken
Hafenstraße 18
66111 Saarbrücken

Phone: +49 681 75595 100

The Job Centre has branches in Burbach, Dudweiler and Brebach.

As soon as you have been officially granted refugee status, take the letter with you to the Social Welfare Office. There you will receive official confirmation that you are no longer a customer of the Social Welfare Office.

Contact your local Immigration Advice Service (Migrationsdienst) for an appointment for assistance filling out the application from the Job Centre.

Important: At this point, the Job Centre will not cover the costs of electricity. You must start paying for your own electricity. This means you must get in contact with an energy provider. 

The Job Centre also does not cover the costs of deposit for your accommodation. You may apply, however, for a credit loan from the Job Centre to pay for it. This can be paid back in monthly instalments.

You are required to participate in any programs recommended to you by the Job Centre.